Well, I finally got a call at 5:30 pm yesterday, after deciding on giving up on the doctors office.
The call went like this:
Me: "Hello?" (figuring it was my mom)
Nurse: "May I speak with Chasity?"
Me: "This is she." (deciding it must be a stupid telemarketer)
Nurse: "This is S with Dr. L's office"
Me: "Yes??????"
Nurse: "Dr. L wanted me to call you and let you know that the results are showing "Mild Polycystic Ovaries."
Me: "OK?"
Nurse: "He wants you to start on a prescription called Glucophage. What pharmacy do you want it called into?"
Me: Why of course I chose the small local pharmacy.
Nurse: "Ok, he will get that called in."
Me: "OK, than you."
Then we hung up. I was in such shock that they called, I forgot to ask what the numbers were and if he would call it in then or if it would be today. Well, I went directly to get one of my prescription bottles so I could call the pharmacy to see if he had called the prescription in. Of course, I couldn't get through to the pharmacy, but I knew that they didn't close until 8 pm, so after dinner I went up there to check. Lo and behold he had, so today I have started my 1000 mg of Metformin (Glucophage). So, I at least have been technically diagnosed with PCOS (not great to hear, but at least I have finally found something out).
I did a search on PCOS and found one site that says it is NOT genetically linked and I found another that says it is. I would have to say that it is because my Aunt S had cysts on her Ovaries (never had children due to one of the cysts rupturing). Then last night my mom says, "I had cysts on my ovaries. " I said, "Really, I didn't know that." She then says, "Why do you think I had to have my hysterectomy?" My wonderful answer to that question: "I was 5, how the fuck am I supposed to know why you had it done. Thanks for telling me now that I already have the problem. You would have thought that you would have told me that kind of stuff when I first realized that I was having problems getting pg and worrying about it so damn much!" (My mom and I have a very open relationship and sometimes that word just slips out). Thanks mom....I appreciate the info. Anyway, here is one PCOS website that I found really interesting. It says something that my doctor had actually said to me. It says that women with "Mild PCOS" may not exhibit all of the signs. My dr. had told me that. That makes me feel a little bit better.
Anyway, last night when I went to pick up my Metformin, I read the 4 page leaflet that came along with it and one paragraph stated: This medication can cause changes in the menstrual cycle (promote ovulation) in women with certain fertility problems, therefore increasing the risk of becoming pregnant. So, needless to say, that made me happy. Time to get back to work. Happy Friday to all!
Friday, February 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Isn't that something...and my doc put me on bcp and told me to wait 3 months...lol. I am glad you are that much closer! TGIF!
It's so good to hear that you finally got a diagnosis. I know it's not good to have PCOS, but at least you finally know what's going on. I hope that it will work out for you!
Progress, yes! I too, am not glad to hear you have PCOS, but I am glad you're moving forward! I hope you find yourself pregnant, and soon!
How do they know you have PCOS from blood tests? I am confused... did they do internal u/s to see the cysts in your ovaries? Maybe I missed that part.
Hey... can you send me some of the MET??? I need increased chances of becoming pg too... even though PCOS has been ruled out for me...
Okay . . . I am confused, too. Give me all the info you can on how they figured out you had PCOS. I have had cysts on my ovaries before and I have one now, although they said they were not "worried" about it. I don't have any of the symptoms that are described with normal PCOS. Interesting . . .
Post a Comment