Monday, January 23, 2006

We are home...

Well, we came home yesterday. It is nice to be home, but I have been scared to death since I walked in the door. It is one thing to be at the hospital where if something goes wrong there are all of the doctors and nurses, unlike being home where it is just you.

Yesterday was a bad day. I was just so scared and unnerved that it wasn't even funny. Today, was much better. I still have to check her to make sure that she is still breathing when she is laying there. Last night was hard. I think I got maybe a total of an hour and a half to 2 hours of sleep if I was lucky. She just didn't want to sleep. She is moving a little slow when it comes to the breast feeding, but I am working with her. Hopefully she will take off on it pretty soon. We are finger feeding and supplementing with formula right now. She is starting to get where she likes to eat now, and we think that was part of her problem last night. I am pumping every 3 hours, and was able to give her about 16 ml's of breast milk today and then some formula with it.

She had a doctors appt. this morning and has lost a little weight because she wasn't eating like she was supposed to. She is down to 5 lbs. 4 oz, but she is starting to be a little pig, so I figure by the next appt. on the 6th she will be gaining some weight. The doctor said that she looks really good even with the small weight loss.

Ok, so my labor...I had to go back and read what I had wrote. I left off with the cytotech. Well, they gave me that and it didn't seem to work either. When the resident came in to break my water around 10:45 pm or so, I was still at a 2-3 and 80% effaced, so there had been no change since I was admitted. After my water was broke, things started moving along. I had in my mind that I was going to have as natural a labor as possible, so that meant no epi. Well, I changed my mind once the contractions started. They didn't work up to being bad, they started out bad. When the nurse came in, I told her "I think I am going to need an epidural. These contractions are getting bad." She asked if I wanted her to check me and I said yes...the look on her face was priceless when she checked and I was a 5. About 20 mins later when the anesthesiologist came in to administer the epi, I was dilated to somewhere between a 7 and 8. So, needless to say I loved the epi. It is probably one of the greatest inventions ever made. It made labor so easy! Then, it only took about 9 or 10 sets of pushes to get her out. It was a great feeling.

I am so thankful that I was finally given the opportunity to have this sweet little girl. I wouldn't trade it for anything. She is the sweetest thing that I could ever have imagined. She has her own little personality already and I never thought that I could love anyone this much!

I want to thank everyone for all of their wonderful comments. I am biased, but I do believe that she is a beautiful little girl. I pray that each and everyone of you experience this feeling very soon!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I haven't been able to check blogs for a few days so imagine my surprise. Congratulation on your beautiful baby girl! I'm reaaly glad to hear both mommy and daughter are doing well. I am just so happy for you!

Jenna said...

Thanks for updating us, I know you must be so busy and exhausted. She is beautiful and I know you and J must be so happy, I know even those moments where you don't think she will ever sleep I know you must think they are amazing.
Congrats again!!!! I am so happy for you both!!!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're doing an amazing job...it's normal for them to lose a little weight.
That first week is the most terrifying, exhausting, WONDERFUL experiences you will ever have in your life. It gets easier...just hang in there and call the doctor any time you need to...they expect it.
I'm so happy for you!
-Erin

Jessigirl said...

Chas,

I am so excited for you! I agree with Lauren about the Angelcare Monitor, it helps with peace of mind. I slept in a recliner with Ashton in my arms for the first couple of weeks, just so I could make sure he was breathing and doing well. Email me or call me if you need anything.

Congrats mommy!

Jess

Liz said...

I know it must be amazing to have your lil girl home with you. Congrats!!!

Jenn said...

I wish I could say that in time your nerves will subside - but Joey is 4 and I still check on him! It comes with being a Mommy.

Your daughter is beautiful - and thank you so much for updating - I am so proud of you!

Heather said...

Just checking in again to see how you are doing. I hope things have settled down some now and it is becoming routine. I know how unnerving it can be at times. You'll be a great mommy!! As Jenn said, we are so proud of you...you have come so far! Can't wait to see pictures of your gorgeous little girl. And how are YOU feeling? Are you resting? I hope so. Take care of yourself as well.
Hugs, Heather M.

Jessigirl said...

HOw are you? Are you sane enough to give us an update? I know you are probably REALLY tired!

Love,
Jess