Ok, so I have a quick vent that I need to get out. This morning, I was walking through the lobby here at work and the receptionist said something like, "Hi Gordita". I wasn't in the mood, so I said "good morning." *Side note: This is the same person that I have had problems with in the past and she went to her union over me. Luckily nothing came of that* So, anyways, after I said good morning, she made a comment to the student that was working with her that I probably didn't know what it meant anyway. So, I said "the only Gordita that I know about is the one at Taco Bell." The students said, "it would probably make you made if you knew what it meant anyway." So, a little later the student was walking down the hall and I asked her what it meant. Ok, so Gordita = Pudgy. (Now that I think about it, I remember gordo meaning fat. I did take Spanish in high school and college, just haven't really used it in a while and I have forgot a lot of the meanings.) So, the student was right...I looked at her and said "At least I have an excuse." I turned around and walked off. I mean please...that was just rude and uncalled for. I don't know why she says that kind of shit except to piss me off. You know, maybe I over reacted or whatever, but it is NOT because I am hormonal. If someone called me pudgy or fat at any time in my life, it did, will, or would piss me off.
Ok, enough of that. I hope that everyone has a great and wonderful weekend!!!!! Take care.
Friday, November 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am sorry that she is so rude!!! I am glad that you told her something you should have! I don't think it is hormonal I think it is normal. I hope you have a great weekend.
Jenna
I would soooo report that! Personally I think she should be fired for shit like that in the workplace. I wouldn't put up with my high school students acting that way. I say... go to HR and turn the bitch in for harassment.
Okay,
I understand you being upset, especially since this chick meant it in a bad way (or so it seems to me)but let me offer an explanation to show her damn ignorance of the word.
I am a Hispanic woman who is also preggers and also have been a "gordita" most of my life.
I must explain that in our culture, gordita is seen as a term of endearment especially if the woman is peggers. "Gorda" can mean fat or pregnant(which I hate by the way) but "gordita" is considered cute, nicer and not as ofensive.
However, that being said, she was way out of line telling you that because 1) you are not her friend, 2)Do not know spanish 3)She even freaking tells you that you don't know what it means without bothering to explain the meaning to you. Now that's damn rude and a cheap attempt at a power play.
Good for you telling her that you at least have an excuse. I just want to understand that it not as horrible as it sounds. At least for in our Culture. Again, she was out of line.
CC
Post a Comment